Thursday, October 2, 2014

Hello and welcome!

“Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts. You need to start somewhere.”

—Anne Lamott


I'm a writer.  I've known it in my bones since I was small.  I've written on paper bags and the back of airline boarding passes when I don't have anywhere else to write. I've kept my writing personal and private for years, but I think I'm ready to start sharing with a bigger audience.  I write to not only make sense of the world around me, but also to make sense of myself.

I'm interested in writing in all forms--from inspirational novels and personal journals to boring research articles and swanky wine labels.  I'm working on both a dissertation and a novel, as well as continuing to document my personal journey through life using a fountain pen and analog paper.

I'm hoping to use this space to share bits and pieces of my own writing, but also offer thoughts on the purpose and meaning of writing.  [Why do we write?  What do we gain? What's the point in persevering through the writing process when there are so many other things that are more fun to do?] In addition, I'm planning to write a little bit about the actual writing process, coping with writer's block, thinking about why copy editing is so difficult, and to ponder whether handwriting is really dead. 

Writing is hard.  Writing on a regular basis is even harder. I'm hoping that this blog brings people things to think about, as well keeps me accountable and writing regularly. I'm also hoping that blogging turns out to be an experience that helps me grow as both a person and as a writer. I'd love to connect with anyone engaged in the process of writing and hear thoughts about both the technical and poetic aspects of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment